Updating social media with a smartphone

Business

10 Creative Social Media Ideas for Event Planners

Maintaining a strong social media presence is like running a marathon. You start out strong, but somewhere along the way you’re bound to start losing steam. The sheer pace of content creation and posting what social media demands is exhausting for all business owners—including event planners.

Linking to your blog posts, adding new pictures from recent events, sharing industry-related news… While all of these strategies are useful, a good social media presence means mixing up your content once in a while. Get your followers engaged with these 10 creative social media ideas!

1. Go behind-the-scenes

When it comes to your business, all your clients get to see is the tip of the iceberg. Show your followers what it’s like to be you by snapping a quick behind-the-scenes photo with a casual caption. A picture of your desk, office, agenda, or morning coffee is a simple way to add a little personal touch to your social media profiles. Take it a step further with a shot of you setting up for an event or deciding between event décor with a vendor.

Behind-the-scenes social media post of an event planner's desk

2. Revive an old blog post

Pick out a post that did well last year and re-share it to remind your followers it’s still kicking around. Need an excuse? Pull out an old blog to share for a #ThrowbackThursday post or wait till the time is right to revive something seasonally appropriate.

3. Share something that’s unrelated to your business…

… but totally fits with your brand. An inspirational or cheeky quote, a beautiful landscape, a well-designed room or trendy new product—these can help build your brand and appeal to your followers. Are you over the moon with your new Kate Spade purse? Charmed by a meal you ordered that matches your brand’s colors to a T? Snap a photo and share it on your Instagram.

Brand-building social media post

4. Share a resource

Show you’re an authority in the event planning industry by sharing tips or resources for your followers (like this handy Engagement Rings 101 infographic!). Do you specialize in weddings? Share a wedding planning timeline to help out anxious brides. Does your business plan charity galas? Link to some cool new online fundraising tools.

5. Tag a client, venue, or vendor

Share a little of your life and increase engagement with other users by tagging clients, venues, or vendors. Tag latest bridal client and a local bridal boutique in your Tweet about wedding dress shopping, or tag a local caterer to compliment their new logo. Of course, if you’re going to be including your client’s name, social media handle, or photos in any posts, you’ll need their permission first.

Tagging an event planning client in a social media post

6. Start a series

A good series is a social media goldmine because it lets you riff off one broad idea almost infinitely. Share tips on being a good guest once a week, or post a picture of a new flower arrangement every day. Bonus: This idea combines easily with anything else on our list for a trusty source of engaging content.

7. Celebrate a weird holiday

April 8th is Draw a Picture of a Bird Day. Why? We don’t know—but the offbeat quirkiness of the day is sure to grab your followers’ attention. Take a look through a site like Days of the Year for strange holidays you can work into your business. For instance, World Baking Day (May 17th) is the perfect day to post a wedding cake photo from your portfolio.

8. Post an employee profile

Introduce that new event planner, assistant, or intern to your social media followers with a photo and a few quick facts. Still working solo? You could do a shout-out to the virtual assistant, graphic designer, web designer, or other contractor who helps you out with your work.

Posting a new employee profile on social media

9. Ask their opinion

Are rustic barn receptions in or out? What about mismatched bridesmaid dresses? Is serving a house cocktail better than an open bar event? You’ve got your own opinions, but find out what your followers think. Trends are constantly coming and going in the event and wedding planning world, so you’ve got an infinite bank of content that’s sure to get your followers engaged.

10. Reach out to an industry pro

Is there a vendor, venue owner, or even another event planner you’ve always admired? Tag them in your post and try to get a conversation started. Sure, it’s intimidating, but the worst that can happen is that you won’t get a response. Put yourself out there!

Now you know what to post—but where should you post it? Check out our guide to social media for event planners for tips!

40 responses to “10 Creative Social Media Ideas for Event Planners”

1. michelle lefebvre says:

awesome ideas!

2. Kaneika Alston says:

GREAT IDEAS!
    I especially like the pic of work space, the weird holiday, and tagging the client, venue or vendor.

3. kristina says:

finally i got very helpful information about blog!! thank u!! now i can do it!!

4. Kayla Fentress says:

I love reading the Pointers For Planners blog. They have such great ideas.

5. Kamille Leak says:

I’ll definitely be adding this to my “Tips” section of my notebook. Thank you!

6. Jessica says:

I love the behind the scenes! I do those from time to time and they get the most engagement out of all of my posts. 🙂

7. Great ideas! I’ve been wondering how to make my social media footprint better! Thank you!!

8. Tiffany says:

This blog is very helpful! Great blog!!

9. Awesome! I hadn’t considered starting my own series like 30 dresses in 30 days fro bridal inspiration. Thanks for the post.

10. Kayla says:

I like the work space idea, as well as tagging clients and vendors. Just have to remember to give credit where needed if its not your own work and your reposting a picture of their work.

11. Behind the scenes are awesome! I love to see those sorts of things. I also love to see things that are not about peoples businesses.

12. MaKenna Stevens says:

These are great suggestions that I recognize other businesses weaving into their marketing.

13. Jessica Hiestand says:

These are great ideas! It adds a personal touch to your business.

14. I really needed to read this! i suck at social media! Thank You!

15. Kaitlyn Liedig says:

Using social media as a marketing tool is almost imperative in this day in age… Great tips on how to use social media marketing correctly! Especially the bit about posting something unrelated but fitting to your brand… Branding can make or break a business! Awesome blog post.

16. These were really great tips! Glad to know I’m already on the right track by using a few of them already. Will start shouting out vendors that I work with as I do not have an in-house team just yet. Thanks again!

17. Lisa Storey says:

Brilliant ideas! I’m so excited to start using some of these as I start my career in this field, Thanks!

18. Mariah Logan says:

Great ideas! Great way to represent your personal self through your professional social media avenues! I’m sure it makes you much more relatable to clients! and potential clients!

19. mistura says:

some really greats ideas, especially for those new to the business, great stuff *thumbs up* 😀

20. Kirsti Steiner says:

love the ideas! the “behind-the-scenes” idea is my favorite and what I seem to post the most of!

21. Hillary says:

These suggestions are very helpful! I will start implementing some of them immediately!

22. phoebe says:

This is really helpful, actually- I saved this link for future reference. Thanks for the ideas!

23. Anna Hofer says:

I love the idea of celebrating the weird holidays! I would have never thought of this idea in order to activate the social media buzz even more. I think this would be a good idea the first couple of years in order to get more posts and show more of the business owners personality and creativity outside of the planning world! Great post and love the article!

24. Tiffany says:

This article is great because it introduces fun ways to keep clients and potential clients informed about what you’re working on.

25. Aimee says:

I love the “going behind the scenes point”, Often enough, ( I am guilty too) we don’t realize how much effort and time is put into a service! Tagging a client or vendor is also a great way to not only promote, but support each other! Absolutely love this blog post.

26. Leslieann Brown says:

Great article! I’m definitely going to do the weird holidays one. And I do have a new Kate Spade bag so maybe I’ll do that too! LOL 🙂

27. Tess says:

I’ve just been hired to handle the marketing for two separate events, and this includes social media. This is hugely helpful for me, thanks!

28. Ebony Jackson says:

These ideas are awesome! So excited to start this new journey!

29. Stephanie Gardner says:

Love these ideas! To be considered for sure.

30. Kierra says:

These are great ideas to keep our social media streams refreshed! Definitely going to try using a few of these ideas.

31. Kayla says:

Awesome read, I loved reading this. Really great ideas!

32. Jaime Kandalaft says:

I like the Go behind the scenes idea, and the share something unrelated to your business idea. These are both ways for clients and potential clients to get to know you a little better and gain some insight into your personal taste and style.

33. Lauren Fisher says:

Such great insight and tools, “start a series” so many ideas came to mind especially regarding weddings.

34. Brittany Bowman says:

I love these tips. A few I have thought of in the past that have been refreshed in my mind. I really like the idea of snapping a behind the scenes shot. I think writing an entire “article” on your clients wedding (with their permission) would be a great way to showcase your work, the clients special day & build credibility.

35. Heidi Hawkinson says:

I love these tips. I will have to try to remember them. I don’t yet need make use of these tips, but soon enough I will.

36. Amy Wagstaff says:

I love reading all these helpful tips!
    Thank you!

37. Bryanne Krahn says:

Love getting new ideas! Thanks for sharing with us.

38. kristen winton says:

This is extremely helpful, I’m glad I chose QC career school, I’ve learned a lot of helpful tips and am meeting possible vendors because of the course. I’m excited to keep moving forward, learn more and move forward with my own business. Thank you !!

39. Brianna Hill says:

I love all of these ideas, they’re very useful and I’m going to write all of them so I can remember to use them in the future! 🙂